Thursday, October 20, 2011

Visual Thinking Research

 For my first puzzle I chose the over lapping circles. I attempted to solve it through the understanding that all the missing pieces were the same size. I then calculated how many missing pieces there were from each individual circle. From this (as seen below on the right side of the note pad) I found that by completing the circles and then realizing that there are constant areas missing I could simply calculate by addition the number similar areas.
    My friend attempted to calculate the areas by addition as well by finding a ratio for the amount missing in each circle and adding them together. This however did not prove to be conclusive.
B- 6
G- 6
Y- 5
R- 7
 For my second puzzle I choose a problem that involved circles that overlap however are different lengths. I completed the puzzle by dividing the circle into 4ths. Sense it appears that the circles change direction every quarter turn this seemed fitting. I found that by adding the number of quarter turns were in each line I could find the correct answer. In other words I would complete each piece of the line as a circle (gestalt) then subtracted the remaining segments that.
    As for my friend he attempted to find the answer by simply looking at the circles to find the correct answer. As a result he chose the Green Line. I believe this to be true because it is the most isolated of the lines. While the other strings move and take up the a fair distance the green remains in the lower left hand corner.
Results.

    The Blue and green circles for #1
&
    The Red String for #2

No comments:

Post a Comment